Growth Mindset
Before now I had not heard of Carol Dweck or her work on growth mindset, however I am a little familiar with some of the concepts in growth mindset. I took an introductory psychology course a while ago, and I remember reading some articles for a class discussion relating to this sort of behavior and how kids are easily influenced by how their parents reward certain behaviors, such as earning good grades, or reinforcing their approaches to school and learning which could have positive or negative effects later in life with how they react to failure or challenges.
So, I started to make changes to how I approached my education. The next semester, I took fewer hours to help with the load, and I also talked more with my professors during office hours (something I hadn't even utilized until my junior year). I made more friends, formed study groups, etc. and I changed how I thought about difficult topics. I study mathematics, and the higher you go the more different it feels from the previous year. Abstract concepts are difficult to master, even for someone who's spent years studying them. So, I learned that I should always strive to learn the material, but that it was okay to not understand it at first and that it takes time to do so. Time and practice are the two key resources for learning in mathematics courses, and I'm sure they're also key for other subjects as well. Here's a handy infographic with some thoughts on how to think in a growth mindset I found online that I think outlines some great tips:
![]() |
| Growth mindset infographic. Image source: |



Comments
Post a Comment