Week 2 Topic Brainstorm
1. Vishnu and Lakshmi
My first topic of interest is in regards to the couple Vishnu and Lakshmi. Originally, I was going to put the topic "The Gods / Devas" as my first topic of interest. However, after doing some minor research, I've decided it is all incredibly confusing. There are so many names and Sanskrit terms, I think that would be better for a Wikipedia trails post. So, I wanted to be more specific about which deities I was interested in. This included Vishnu and Lakshmi, the divine couple. I've heard of Vishnu through some projects I did many years ago in grade school, so Vishnu, Brahma, Krishna, and Shiva are all interests for me. For Lakshmi, though, I have no prior knowledge. The only tie to Lakshmi I have is with someone who's named Lakshmi, and I found out today its common to name people after gods. So, I think the significance of the deities will also be interesting to learn and how it ties into the culture if my research into this topic will lead into that.Possible sources:
- Britannica: Vishnu
- Koausa: Goddess Laksmi
![]() |
| Vishnu and Lakshmi. Source: Flikr |
2. Rama
For my second topic of interest, I chose Rama. In the assignment about comic books, I had an introduction on Rama, his wife Sita, and Their twin sons: Luv and Kush. I thought it was an interesting series I could follow along. There's also a couple of comic books about the time before Rama, such as Dasharatha: The Story of Rama's Father, and Ancestors of Rama: A Noble Inheritance. But more than that, I found out from my interest in Vishnu that Rama was one of the Avatars of Vishnu! I'm finding out there's a lot I don't know, and from what I can see it's a lot like a multi-layered spider web of information.Possible sources:
3. Hanuman
My third topic of interest is Hanuman. Like Rama, there are several comic books I could look into to learn more about Hanuman. I actually already know a little about him, though it's general knowledge rather than specifics. I know he has a form like that of a monkey, and that when he was a child he tried to grab the sun because he thought it was a fruit. I remember learning this as a kid when one of my classes went over ancient deities. I think he would be an interesting topic to learn more about as he reminds me of Sun Wukong.Possible Source:
- Britannica: Hanuman
4. Vahanas of the Gods
My fourth topic of interest pertains to the "vehicles" (Vahanas) of the gods. I chose this topic after I saw some art of some important deities in Hinduism. Specifically, I saw Brahma riding a swan, and I immediately went looking for more information on that, which led me to Vahanas. I think it would be interesting to learn more about the significance of the Vahanas in Hindu culture and mythology, and I hope in our future readings we might glance one in the epics.
Possible source:
- ThoughtCo.: Vehicles of the Hindu Gods: The Vahanas
- Britannica: Vahana
![]() |
| Brahma and Vahana, the swan. Source: Wikimedia |




Comments
Post a Comment