My Storybook Favorites
The following three storybooks are my choice favorites. There were many others that were interesting in their own regard, but I find these three to be the most unique.
Making a Murderer: Lady Macbeth
I was immediately intrigued by this storybook's title when I came across it and I do think it does the storybook justice in encasing the essence of what the storybook is about. The storybook, written in the style of Shakespeare (which I think makes it stand out even more), describes an enthralling tale of murder and manipulation, beginning with Act 1 in the introduction. The introduction does well, in my opinion, to set the tone for the short Shakespearean-style play. Furthermore, the storybook utilizes detailed images to further assist the reader in visualizing what is taking place, even using animated GIFs (my favorite of which is below and can also be found here).
Fairytale Case Files: India
Fairytale Case Files: India is a rather fun series of short stories about the adventures in India of a detective, Wolfgang Forrester, who had returned after mysteriously disappearing two years beforehand. There are many parts of the storybook that I would consider ludicrous, but it's because of its absurdity that I think the title fits rather well. I mean, the introduction opens by setting the backstory and introducing one of the main characters: Hunter, the first half-man, half-deer cop on the police force. If that wasn't absurd enough, Wolfgang makes an appearance after being missing for two years, landing in front of Hunter on the back of a three-headed flying elephant. I'm not saying I dislike the story's usage of imaginary creatures - on the contrary, I think it adds to its charm. However, after reading something like Making a Murderer: Lady Macbeth, it gave me the feeling of something similar to mental whiplash. The storybook also linked to another storybook that delved into Detective Wolfgang's other adventures and can be found here.
Three Brothers, A Spacious Kingdom
Finally, the storybook, Three Brothers, A Spacious Kingdom, is a modern take on the classical Roman gods of the sky, the sea, and the underworld: Jupiter, Neptune, and Pluto. A couple of unique features of this storybook lie in its plot and setting. The introduction does a wonderful job of describing the setting: "In this retelling, the heavenly brothers trade Mount Olympus and the Underworld for the Milky Way Galaxy, ruling over the planets that hold their names, along with their domains on Earth." Moreover, the author involves current world events (relatively speaking, this takes place in 2018) as the source of conflict in each chapter, wherein each god faces a challenge relating to their godly duties. I think the inclusion of the modern world problems wonderfully executed, and I definitely enjoyed my time reading this storybook.
Fairytale Case Files: India
Fairytale Case Files: India is a rather fun series of short stories about the adventures in India of a detective, Wolfgang Forrester, who had returned after mysteriously disappearing two years beforehand. There are many parts of the storybook that I would consider ludicrous, but it's because of its absurdity that I think the title fits rather well. I mean, the introduction opens by setting the backstory and introducing one of the main characters: Hunter, the first half-man, half-deer cop on the police force. If that wasn't absurd enough, Wolfgang makes an appearance after being missing for two years, landing in front of Hunter on the back of a three-headed flying elephant. I'm not saying I dislike the story's usage of imaginary creatures - on the contrary, I think it adds to its charm. However, after reading something like Making a Murderer: Lady Macbeth, it gave me the feeling of something similar to mental whiplash. The storybook also linked to another storybook that delved into Detective Wolfgang's other adventures and can be found here.
Three Brothers, A Spacious Kingdom
Finally, the storybook, Three Brothers, A Spacious Kingdom, is a modern take on the classical Roman gods of the sky, the sea, and the underworld: Jupiter, Neptune, and Pluto. A couple of unique features of this storybook lie in its plot and setting. The introduction does a wonderful job of describing the setting: "In this retelling, the heavenly brothers trade Mount Olympus and the Underworld for the Milky Way Galaxy, ruling over the planets that hold their names, along with their domains on Earth." Moreover, the author involves current world events (relatively speaking, this takes place in 2018) as the source of conflict in each chapter, wherein each god faces a challenge relating to their godly duties. I think the inclusion of the modern world problems wonderfully executed, and I definitely enjoyed my time reading this storybook.


Comments
Post a Comment