Famous Last Words: The Sequel

     My enjoyment of this class has not changed thus far. I have come down with some kind of fever, though, and it's been wrecking me the last couple of days. On another note, I missed the first reading this week, but I again used the extra credit reading to make it up. In my last famous last words post, I complained that one of my courses, intro to topology, I was really worried about. However, I think that has since changed. I've been doing remarkably well in many of my classes so far, including that one. I am awaiting the test scores from Midterm 2 to come back, though, and I suppose we will really see then whether I am doing well.
     In another class, Analysis II, I also did well. I was worried about this class because the first course in the sequence, Analysis I, I didn't do well in. It was the first class I didn't end the semester with an A in, and that kind of worried me. However, I've been doing great in the second course in the sequence so far, which is definitely good. Like last time, I also haven't seen any connections between this class and any of my others. Again, this is likely because my courses have practically nothing to do with Indian epics, Hinduism, etc. 
     I also wanted to talk about this story I read by Paula Rueda. It's called That's What You Get for Being Greedy and is her personal take on the Jataka Tale The Golden Goose by Ellen Babbitt. I thought this story was incredibly unique. When you first read it, you may think she was retelling the story The Golden Goose when in reality that's not what she is doing at all. Instead, she added what I would call a sequel Jataka Tale to The Golden Goose, and in this tale, the old lady got what was coming for her for what she did in the first one. I honestly wasn't expecting the ending. I definitely enjoyed reading it.


File:Cantor set in seven iterations.svg
Here is something called the Cantor Set. We covered it in Topology, but I also learned of it in Analysis I almost a year ago.
You generate it by taking a line of length 1 and cutting out the middle 1/3, which leaves you with the first and third thirds.
You do this over and over again, infinitely many times. This photo is the first seven iterations. Source: Wikimedia

Comments

Popular Posts