Learning Challenge: How Sleep Deprivation Decays the Mind and Body
I read the article "How Sleep Deprivation Decays the Mind and Body," by Seth Maxon. The article, obviously, covers some of the effects of sleep deprivation. I thought this article was interesting for a number of reasons, but I think the most interesting aspect was how Maxon decided to write the article. He opens with a story on how he ended up in the hospital after four days without sleeping, and also included several first-hand accounts to provide a basis for the article.
According to Maxon, losing sleep has several effects on the body, "Losing sleep can cause hallucinations, psychosis, and long-term memory impairment. Some studies have linked sleep deprivation to chronic conditions like hypertension, diabetes, and bipolar disorder." There are many studies that link sleep loss to other conditions as well, such as diabetes and depression.I already knew of the more immediate consequences of sleep deprivation, such as hallucinations and microsleeps (brief, uncontrollable episodes of sleep). I didn't know sleep deprivation has long-term effects, though. I was surprised to see the connections between diabetes, schizophrenia, etc. that he mentioned in the article.
![]() |
| Sleep is important for human function! Source: pxhere |



Comments
Post a Comment