Learning Challenge: An Underappreciated Key to College Success: Sleep

I read the article "An Underappreciated Key to College Success: Sleep" by Jane E. Brody. I am always eager to learn more about the effects of sleep deprivation and how it affects schooling, so naturally, I again chose an article on sleep. Something I learned in this article that I hadn't realized or learned before was the connection between sleep deprivation and performance while drunk. Apparently, after roughly 20 hours awake, brain performance is akin to that of being legally drunk! I've pulled all-nighters before and I while I don't remember much of those nights, I do remember that my performance was definitely inhibited, so I am not too surprised. She mentions a lot about connections between grades and sleep deprivation that I am already familiar with from previous material I have read. Now that I have learned there is a connection between sleep deprivation and intoxication, I think I am going to put a reminder in my phone to look up some articles that might explain that connection in more detail!


(The image is hard to see I think. Follow the source and it should be clearer!)
File:Effects of sleep deprivation.png
The effects of sleep deprivation are numerous. It's important to get enough sleep every night. Source: Wikimedia

Comments

Popular Posts